Throughout the year there are dozens of events that contribute to the funding of the Carnival and Tar Barrels. Click an event below for more information.
Thursday 20th October - Family Skittles Night
At The Football Club. 7.00 for 7.30 start.
Saturday 22nd October 2016 - Carnival Disco
Carnival Disco. At The Institute, over 18’s. 8.00pm till late. Download a poster: disco-poster
Saturday 22nd October 2016 - Creative Bakers Cake Competition & Tea and Bake Sale
At The Coleridge Play Group. Entries close at 1.00pm.
Saturday 22nd October 2016 @ The Coleridge Playgroup from 12.00 Entries close at 1.00pm.
Competition for the most creative cake, Cupcakes, biscuits, buns etc. Entrants will be judged on decorative skill, creativity & individuality.
Class 1 – Age 4 to 11
Class 2 – Ages 11 to 16
Class 3 – Adults
COME & SEE the CAKE & GUY Competition and join us for a TEA & CAKE SALE 2.00 – 4.00
Download a poster: creative-bakers-poster
Saturday 22nd October 2016 - Guy competition
Competition open to everyone Guys to be displayed around town during Carnival Week then burnt on the fire on November 5th With winning entry to be placed on the top.
Ottery St Mary Carnival. Guy Competition & Trail. 2016. RULES & ENTRY
Guys will be judged on the following criteria:
- All guys will be displayed on a trail around the town during carnival week. The will then be burnt on the fire on November 5th, with the guy judged to be the most impressive taking prime position at the top. They will be viewed by thousands of spectators so we need some fantastic creations!
- Prize giving will be on Carnival Day, Saturday 29th October, after the crowning of the Queen.
- All Guys should be constructed to consider inclement weather. Materials used must be combustible ie. Straw, hay, old clothes, timber, hardboard, willow, papier mache, cardboard etc….and not made of plastics or oil based materials.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle – where possible recycle or re-use materials.
- Artistic merit – this will be judged on the visual impact of your Guy. It may be the detail, use of colour, and the care with which it has been made or it may simply look fantastic.
- Creativity and originality – your Guy does not have to be a traditional Guy Fawkes.
- All entries to be submitted between 10:30 & 12:30 on Saturday 22nd October 2016. Entries to be brought to The Coleridge Playgroup, where there will also be a tea, coffee and cake sale.
- No late entries after 12:30 on 22nd October.
- There is no cost to enter a Guy (maximum 2 entries per person)
- Entry Forms must be returned by Tuesday 18th October.
Download forms and poster: guy-poster-2016
Sunday 23rd October 2016 - Carnival Bingo
Carnival Bingo. At The Football Club. Doors open 7.00pm, Eyes down 8.00pm.
Wednesday 26th October - Carnival Quiz Night
At The Football Club. Doors open at 7.00pm, Quiz starts at 8.00pm. £5 including nibbles. Contact Steve Pearcey 01404 811335
Have a lovely poster: quiz-night-poster
Friday 28th October - Visit the Guy Trail
Last chance to see and vote for your favourite Guy
Saturday 29th October 2016 - Royalty Crowning, Fancy Dress Competition and Carnival Grand Draw
Crowning of the Carnival Queen at The Institute, 2.00pm
Fancy Dress Competition. Free to enter, at The Institute
Presentation of Prizes for Guy Competition including Trophy for Champion Large Guy, Trophy for best Creative Baker. Carnival Grand Draw.
Followed by the Carnival Procession
Saturday 29th October - Carnival Procession
The carnival procession will be held on Saturday 29th October 2016, starting at 7.30pm. The carnival comprises of walking entries, tableaux and trade entries culminating in a procession of over 55 entries, which in the past was called a “Torchlight Procession”. This used to be held on the same night as the Tar Barrels, but due to the popularity of both events, they now warrant their own individual occasion.
After the procession at 9.15pm, we hold a free fire work display at Canaan Way, which is supported by the Town Council.
The opportunity to support and contribute to this event is available through collection buckets in and around the event.
Barrack Road between Strawberry Lane and Cadhay Lane will be closed between the hours of 3pm and 8pm
The Carnival Route: Mill Street, Broad Street, Jesu Street and Yonder Street will be closed between the hours of 7.30pm and 10.00pm
Limited parking is available in Canaan Way car park and Sainsbury’s car park in Hind Street.
Saturday 29th October - Grand Firework Display
9.15pm on The Land of Canaan.